New Tutorial Series on Box2D for Flash and AS3

by Michael James Williams on June 3, 2011 · 13 comments

in Tutorial

For over a year, I’ve had a Skribit widget on the sidebar of the blog; this lets anyone suggest a new idea for a tutorial, and vote on those ideas that others have suggested. Unfortunately this only keeps track of the last fifteen suggestions submitted, but, because I get an email whenever someone suggests something, I know that the most popular suggestion topic has been physics.

“Add physics to the Avoider Game”, “Please teach us a little about physics in Flash”, “Physics would be an awesome thing to learn in ActionScript 3″.

So, I’ve started a new series on my favourite Flash physics engine, Box2DFlash. The first part, Introduction to Box2D for Flash and AS3, is already up, and will explain the basic concepts you’ll need.

Box2D Flash AS3 tutorial

I’ve got the outline for the second part planned, so that should be up soon :) After that, there are different directions this series could take, and I haven’t yet decided which one to choose.

Skribit has closed down, so I’ve set up a Google Moderator page to collect suggestions specifically for this Box2D series:

Box2D Flash AS3 tutorial

I’ve put a few suggestions in already, and you can vote on them to let me know which you’d prefer to see. You can also submit your own ideas so that other people can vote on them, because I’m sure there are more than four possible directions to take this in ;)

Anyway, I hope you find the first part useful. Let me know if you have any questions!

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Mushyrulez June 8, 2011 at 3:43 am

Y’know, since nothing much is happening on this blog anymore, you could just put your entire avoider tut on activetuts, now..

Michael James Williams June 8, 2011 at 8:09 am

Why, though?

Mushyrulez June 11, 2011 at 4:09 am

Why not? Your blog (was) a little bit dead.

Michael James Williams June 11, 2011 at 9:30 am

Funnily enough, I actually get more traffic these days than I did when I was writing the avoider game tutorial in the first place :)

KununguaK June 14, 2011 at 1:17 pm

yeah ..but if you say that you’re making a box2d -series, and even encourage people to take the time vote make a wishlist ..we’ll then you have to commit ..man :)
Do the damn series. heh heh heeeh

Michael James Williams June 14, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I am writing it right now — you’ve just distracted me ;)

Jos June 16, 2011 at 7:36 am

Quit distracting him!

I would like to see some box2d physics integrated into the avoider game to allow cool bounce effects between enemies and avatar/walls etc. Having the assets and base to build on would be helpful in streamlining the tut. Though any of the ideas posted would be very cool. Thanks for sharing knowledge.

Michael James Williams July 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm

The second part is out! I’ll do a proper blog post about it when I have time.

Ioannes August 31, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Thank you so much for your efforts, and the good will for helping us and sharing. You truly rock man! Best wishes.

Michael James Williams September 9, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Nick October 7, 2011 at 5:06 am

Your last comment just dissapointed me, I’ve been on a long vacation, come back, ready for some tuts, and I see, “I’ve fallen behind on this, and I’m sorry :/ I’ve been doing a lot of other stuff for Activetuts+ recently, and it’s cut down my free writing time. I’m still working on it, though!” :( GGRRRRRREEEEEAAAT!

Michael James Williams October 9, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Sorry dude :( I’m working on the next part. Maybe this week?

SzRaPnEL March 21, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Best Box2D tutorial ever. All others have very nasty compile bugs.